Ecocert ICO, accredited by the USDA, may certify each production and handling operation that produces or handles crops, livestock, livestock products, or other agricultural products intended to be labeled as "organic".
Ecocert ICO staff will apply strictly the certification process: control of production mode and quality system, administrative and accountant reviews, physical site inspection, risk analysis and analysis. This process must be repeated each year in order to comply with NOP regulation.
You will find below the main steps to follow in order to become certified.
Becoming certified in six steps!
The Organic Certification Process:
- Submit the Application. Complete your Organic System Plan (OSP) and required attachments.
- Application Review. Your application will be reviewed by a Certification Officer to evaluate if you are eligible for organic certification and ready to move forward towards organic certification.
- Inspection. An on-site inspection will be performed to verify that you are following the NOP requirements and the practices described in your Organic System Plan. The inspector will submit an inspection report to Ecocert ICO.
- Inspection report review. Ecocert ICO certification officer will review the inspection report alongside your OSP. Any and all findings, requirements, noncompliance and continuous improvements will be identified and reported in a Determination Letter. Potential additional requests for further information will be addressed with you.
- Certification Status Notification. Once the inspection review and compliance documents show that you are complying with NOP regulation, you will receive an organic certificate from Ecocert ICO describing your activity and the certified products.
- Continuation. Annually, you will have to update your Organic System Plan before your "Anniversary Date" (indicated in your certificate). Inspection of your operation, Inspection report review and Certification Status Notification remain consistent each year thereafter. Certification fees are due annually according to the fee schedule for the current year.
We strongly advise you to download and read carefully these documents that will give you more details about NOP and certification process.